Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Update- museum review


"Freight cars ,Gloucester" by Edward Hopper

   Hey everyone,   I've been busy painting so I can have some more art to post for you guys. Sometimes an artist needs a dose of inspiration to get them going , so a couple weeks back I took a ride up to N. Andover to visit the Addison Gallery of American Art at the prestigous Phillips Academy. I would strongly encourage anyone who is interested in American art to pay a visit  to this wonderful museum.  This is a world class art museum wich ( in  my opinion ) bosts a much more impressive collection of works by American Artists than the MFA Boston . It may just be that I've been to the MFA alot in the last few years and I'm annoyed that they still have the gallery with the 20th century American realists closed , but this place really was great .I'm a huge fan of 20th century American art . My greatest intrests include Robert Henri and the  "Ashcan School" ,cityscapes by Edward Hopper,  Modernists such as John Marin, and American Impressionist Childe Hassam to name a few. The Addison fully quenched my thirst to see some of these great works in person. Admission was free, but it was kind  of hard to fiind a place to park. If you go , be prepared to walk a little ways. I'll include a link to the museum's website and post some of my favorite paintings from the collection. Also I'll post some more of my own work later today.www.andover.edu/museums/addison

                                 
"Sunday Morning....." by John Sloan

"The Circus" by George Bellows

No comments:

Post a Comment